Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Gloved One

I must admit I rediscovered Michael Jackson over the last couple of weeks. It wasn’t like I had forgotten him, his music is on my iPod and I listen to it fairly frequently. Not in front of the kids however, they’d just stare when I try to moonwalk and stumble across the floor.

Obviously, there have been a lot of us closet fans, secretly admiring the King of Pops great music while not quite being able to admit it. Crowds at his home, his memorial and around the world have proven that. I’m hear to tell you I loved Michaels music, but the Video’s that have been all over the web (and now on my iPod) are the thing I’ve rediscovered.

When asked what I thought of Michael I told someone “He was a perfectly tuned instrument for turning music into motion.” His dancing mesmerized audiences mainly because they couldn’t figure out how a human being could do those things. But he did them, and he made it look Natural.

There were a lot of things about Michael we’ll never understand how he did, but he was the soundtrack for our lives for over forty years. He was my generations Elvis, but so much bigger than Elvis his seemingly inevitable young death has impacted the entire world. That’s not to downplay Elvis’s influence, but the world moved to instant communication on a global scale as Michael grew up, and he rode the wave.

As others have said, the man in the mirror has passed through. I sincerely hope he found his peace on the other side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home